Notes on "A Mind for Numbers"
A Mind for Numbers. Barbara Oakley. 2014.
Reshaping your brain is under your control. The key is patient persistence -- working knowledgeably with your brain's strengths and weaknesses.
The Law of Serendipity: Lady Luck favors the one who tries
This book was awesome.
Ten Rules of Good Studying:
- Use recall
- Test yourself
- Chunk your problems
- Space your repetition
- Alternate difference problem-solving techniques during your practice
- Take breaks
- Use explanatory questioning and simple analogies
- Eat your frogs first
- Make a mental contrast
Ten Rules of BAD Studying:
- Passive rereading
- Letting highlights overwhelm you
- Merely glancing at a problem's solution and thinking you know how to do it
- Waiting until the last minute to study
- Repeatedly solving problems of the same type that you already know how to solve
- Letting study session with friends turn into chat sessions
- Neglecting to read the textbook before you start working problems
- Not checking with your instructors or class mates to clear up points of confusion
- Thinking you can learn deeply when you are being constantly distracted
- Not getting enough sleep!
Build a powerful chunk:
- Work a key problem all the way through on paper.
- Do another repetition of the problem, paying attention to the key processes.
- Take a break!
- Work on the problem again before you go to sleep
- Do another repetition ASAP the next day
- Add a new problem
- Think about the problem while you're doing something else
Table of Contents:
- Open the Door
- Easy Does It: Why Trying Too Hard Can Sometimes Be Part of the Problem
- Learning Is Creating: Lessons from Thomas Edison's Frying Pan
- Chunking and Avoiding Illusions of Competence: The Keys to Becoming an "Equation Whisperer"
- Preventing Procrastination: Enlisting Your Habits ("Zombies") as Helpers
- Zombies Everywhere: Digging Deeper to Understand the Habit of Procrastination
- Chunking versus Choking: How to Increase Your Expertise and Reduce Anxiety
- Tools, Tips, and Tricks
- Procrastination Zombie Wrap-Up
- Enhancing Your Memory
- More Memory Tips
- Learning to Appreciate Your Talent
- Sculpting Your Brain
- Developing the Mind's Eye through Equation Poems
- Renaissance Learning
- Avoiding Overconfidence: The Power of Teamwork
- Test Taking
- Unlock Your Potential